Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Yay! Happy Birthday to me!

I never thought at age 28, I would be at this stage in my life. Honestly, I never looked that far ahead. My idea of when I’d do something life altering was “when I got older”. I guess I’m finally “older”. Man, it feels strange. I look back ten years ago and thought it strange when my older sister, Clea, got married at 26 and had her first kid at 28 (ironically, I’m following her same timeline) and thought, “wow, that’s such an adult thing to do”. And here I am, in that very same boat on life’s crazy path down the river. I didn’t even see this chapter coming around the bend, just past the wedding reception.

Now, don’t get me wrong. I’m very happy with where we are. Great jobs (for once), no huge debts hanging over our heads, and a baby just a couple months away. I’m just amazed it took us this long to get to this point.

That’s the only thing I’m regretting: is that we didn’t start this path sooner. I know I’m still fairly young in the grand scheme of things, but when I see couples who got married and started a family much earlier, I wish we made that same decision. Some couples feel they started too early, saying that they feel they missed out on their ‘younger years of having fun’. Others found it great, saying they had enough physical and mental energy for the kids growing up, and look forward to when the kids are out of the house (presumably). That couple is still young enough to enjoy life and get back to being a ‘couple’.

I have no worries that our ‘coupleness’ will be neglected. Altered, but not neglected. We’ve made it clear how important it is to be not only a family, but retain our couple relationship. Far too often, couples become ‘child centered’ and their entire world revolves around the children. Now, placing the kids first IS very important and one of the priorities in raising a family. But, if that causes the couple’s relationship to falter, then that’s when it becomes a detrimental thing.

I suppose adding another ring on this ‘ol tree isn’t all that bad. I’m still not quite feeling my age (as I mentioned once before about feeling ‘ageless’), but I’m definitely feeling older. Being 30 weeks pregnant doesn’t help matters, what with the constant aches and pains and the inability to get up off a cushy couch without the help of Jeremy. So, it’s all mostly a good thing. Jeremy’s usually the one complaining about how old he feels, and I tease him how that ‘30’ mark is just months away for him. Not entirely fair, but I’m sure my time will come…“when I get older”.

So, in the mean time, I’m going to enjoy my slice of Chocolate Chip Cake that my wonderful boss, Marty, gave me, while ignoring the teasing comment that he added of how I look a year older.

Cheers!

3 comments:

Amber said...

YAY for birthdays!!!!!!

BTW, I'd like to make it known that the singing waiters on Saturday were Kevin's doing, not mine. ;)

Hope you're having a wonderful day!

Matt said...

Happy Birthday to you!!!!

Unknown said...

I can't get over the fact that you are the same age as my brother! My best friend is the same age as my brother. You say you are old.. uhhh I don't think so.. Who just turned 30 this year?? Need to mention that I still can't get use to that.. I also had my first child at 28 my dear!

Happy Birthday to you! I hope that you had a great day! I also hope that you enjoyed my e-card, Josh's e-card, and David's text.

Love ya and have a great rest of the week!

Renee :O)