Friday, April 18, 2008

In the womb, no one can hear you scream

I have a feeling I fell asleep somewhere next to a patch of extra-terrestrial eggs while one was hatching. Out popped a ‘face sucker’ which adhered itself to my face.

I swear, I have an alien living in me, and soon it’ll burst from my stomach and run ramped around the city, leaving me searching for some Pepto Bismo (my Space Ball friends will appreciate that reference). Where’s Ripley when you need her?

This baby is definitely making himself known as he’s becoming more potent in his movements. The fact that I can actually feel that there’s a living human being growing and twisting inside me is very surreal….

…and it’s freaking me out a little, too.

I don’t get these psychological crazed moments that often, but when I do, I fall into a minor panic attack, similar to when I run into a disgusting spider. My heart races, my breathing heavy and I get the creep vibe shiver all over my skin. The thing with spiders, though, is that I can run away from them, yelping like the pathetic girl that I am. With this baby, there’s nowhere to run.

Yes, yes, I know it’s a miraculous part of life, God’s intricate fingers at work, beautiful life growing…yada, yada, yada. I hope there are other women who can admit to feeling like this. In retrospect to my other discussion about having a bonding relationship already, I still can’t fully grasp the concept. Perhaps this is another reason why I’ve distanced myself from this baby squirming within. It’s still weird to think that there’s this symbiotic being and there’s nothing I can do about it but watch the thumping and twitches of my belly. At least Jeremy gets a kick out of it (sometimes literally).

Of course, the times when the baby’s not practicing Kung Fu, I begin to worry. “He hasn’t moved for a while….do you think something’s wrong?” paranoid I ask Jeremy.

And, moments later as if this baby heard the cue, begins playing my ribs like a xylophone. Hopefully he won’t hit the ‘booby trapped’ note (my Looney Tunes friends will appreciate that reference).

Alright,” I already demand the baby as I get slightly annoyed with the constant movement, “Enough already, I get it!”

I know there are a lot of women out there that just love being pregnant. Let’s just say, these wild movements and feelings are one thing I really don’t think I’ll miss after June.

My poor little alien baby.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You are so funny! I loved being able to feel Joshua moving around in me but he always choose the times when I didn't want him to be moving around in me.. especially at night.. I guess he was just preparing me early for what was to come.
It is natural to get scared when the baby isn't moving around. David always told me to calm down and be happy that he is resting and not kicking me in my diaphram(sorry for the spelling)
I couldn't wait till June either to get my little one out of my belly. I couldn't take the kicking in the diaphram anymore, not being able to breath easily, and constantly having to go to the bathroom. (My sister in law will agree with me-Kirstin)
I loved knowing that God was creating such an awesome human being in me but I definitely was not depressed once he was not in my belly anymore. I guess, I was not the typical girl like everyone told me I was going to be. I never was sad about not having this thing kick me anymore!

Amber said...

Oh yeah, I so hear you Elly.

Pregnancy creeped me out. The idea of it still creeps me out. Scientifically speaking, you're hosting a parasitic creature for 9 (actually 10) stinking months. Sure, they're cute little parasites, but parasites nonetheless.

Me wax poetic on the beauty of pregnancy? Nope. I hated every second. For many reasons, symbiotic relationship included.

As far as being concerned when he's not moving, that definitely is normal. He's a baby, he needs naps. Kicking you in the bladder is tough work!!! If you ever get really concerned, you could always push him around a little bit to rouse him. That worked well with Bailey. ;)

Katie said...

I used to thing the same thing, but it's weird how you suddenly miss being pregnant. I had the WORST acid reflux. To the point I was on multiple meds for it, and I'd go through it again for the joy of pregnancy.

At least i knew the world could not harm my child when she was inside of me, safe and sound. Cause that's a whole new world of worry right there.