Thursday, July 31, 2008

Parenting 101

It's amazing to think it's been over a month since Max was born. In some ways it feels like an eternity, losing myself in all attempts to meet every need to this chunky, fussy, squirmy child. I think he's looking more and more like Jeremy. although Jeremy will tell you he has my temperament (don't read too much into that). Well, at least the kiddo is adorable, when not bright red and screaming, so no need to return and exchange him.

The warranty expired.....I checked.

Things I’ve learned so far in a mere six weeks of parenthood:

  1. Poopy diapers aren’t really that bad…until the poop is projected, squished or oozed onto you.
  2. Never rely on the job of a burpie cloth….inevitably spit up will get all over not only the baby but you as well. Don't get too attached to that cute onsesie you just put him in a few minutes ago.
  3. If you love your clothes, change them to something else....or just go without (see #2).
  4. When (and if) you get a chance to eat, eat as fast as you can. If you don’t you may not get to eat for quite a while.
  5. Just because the baby fell asleep doesn’t mean he’ll stay asleep. Especially if moved from out your arms or off your chest.
  6. Realize you will perform modern interpretive dance movements of walking, pacing and bouncing the baby around the house for hours at a time. It’s just a fact.
  7. Never in your life will you experience back and arm pain as when you have a baby (see #5 an #6).
  8. You will be held hostage (as our good friend, Melody, coined it with their four month old girl) in your own house. Getting up to use the restroom is a privilege, so use that time wisely.
  9. Try to take a shower every day, even if it’s for a few minutes. You’ll feel human again.
  10. It’s ok to spend every day in your pj’s. Elastic waist bands and cartoon graphic t-shirts are highly underrated.
  11. Savor the smiles they give you, because in two seconds those tender lips will spew screams and screeches that frighten the pets.
  12. The house will be a mess. And that’s ok. Just try to do dishes before mold grows and try to feed the cat every now and then.
  13. No matter how many pacifiers you have strewn about, there will never be one when you need one.
  14. You wont care what silly facial expressions or noises you make to get a smile from your baby.

The many faces of Max (please excuse the fuzzy photos...he's so quick with our little point and click).





3 comments:

Amber said...

Oh, man, that list brings back memories. Not good ones either! I think you've summed up early parenthood to a "tee".

I can't believe how big Max has gotten!!!! That first picture of him is priceless!

Unknown said...

My goodness you two! Max is absolutely adorable! I love the pictures. He is getting so big and cuter and cuter each time I see new pictures of him.

I like the list! It is very correct! You've made it pass the first month so the next months will come quickly and be easier.

I can't wait till I can see him in person again! I am up north till the 11th visitng my parents and family (a long needed break)- let's get together soon. I want to come that way! Let me know!

Take care of yourselves! You guys are doing awesome! I am so proud of you guys!

Lots of love,
Renee, Joshua, and David

PS.. we have hit the beginnings of the terrible twos :O)

Katie said...

Ahem, I'm going to comment on your list

Poopy diapers aren’t really that bad…until he starts eating solids....

Never rely on the job of a burpie cloth….unless you plan on sewing one to all your clothes. Ah well, I've gotten used to smelling like spit up, or being drooled on (just wait until month 4 when the salivary glands kick in)

If you love your clothes, change them to something else....or just go without (see #2). TOTALLY AGREE!!!


When (and if) you get a chance to eat, eat as fast as you can. If you don’t you may not get to eat for quite a while....So true. I don't think I chewed ANYTHING the first couple months. Now Marisa eats with us, even still, my food is cold by the time I eat. Thank God Derek is good about holding her or playing with her so i can eat. Zwieback toast is a godsend at the dinner table at home.

# Just because the baby fell asleep doesn’t mean he’ll stay asleep. Here is a tip....lay him on his tummy when you move him from your arms or chest. I promise he won't die of SIDS and he'll stay asleep. I wish I had known this trick when Marisa was small.


Realize you will perform modern interpretive dance movements of walking, pacing and bouncing the baby around the house for hours at a time. It’s just a fact...Yep, Pele used to walk around the living room/kitchen with me on these nights of fussiness.


Never in your life will you experience back and arm pain as when you have a baby (see #5 an #6)....Find thyself a good chiropractor PRONTO. I THINK I still now one in Pasadena. Let me know and I'll get you his number.


You will be held hostage (as our good friend, Melody, coined it with their four month old girl) in your own house. Getting up to use the restroom is a privilege, so use that time wisely....and when he's mobile....going potty will be as if you are abandoning him. (Marisa cries if she can't see me immediately. So she goes with me most of the time)


Try to take a shower every day, even if it’s for a few minutes. You’ll feel human again....BOUNCY SEAT!!!! Marisa sat in it while I showered and I peeked at her to make sure she was ok...the bouncy seat was and is a Godsend.


It’s ok to spend every day in your pj’s. Elastic waist bands and cartoon graphic t-shirts are highly underrated....if you need a pair to lounge in, I'm learning how to sew....let me know. I'll make em for you.

Savor the smiles they give you, because in two seconds those tender lips will spew screams and screeches that frighten the pets.....awwwww, but it goes away as soon as mommy makes things better right???


The house will be a mess. And that’s ok. Just try to do dishes before mold grows and try to feed the cat every now and then....I'm still trying to be ok with a messy house. Not handling it too well.


No matter how many pacifiers you have strewn about, there will never be one when you need one....hahahahahahahah We have an upstairs (crib) paci, a downstairs paci and a carseat paci plus back up...however,. She's pretty picky and only likes a certain kind. GAH!!!

You wont care what silly facial expressions or noises you make to get a smile from your baby....of course not and it only gets better. Wait till he starts recognizing both of you. The pure joy and happiness on his face when you walk in the house will melt you instantly.


Babies rule.