Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Countdown begins....

The crib is set up, complete with jungle animal themed mobile, bumper and blanket. The dresser is filled to the brim with neatly folded baby clothes organized from sizes newborn all the way up to nine months. The bouncer, swing, stroller and car seat are still in their boxes, but are rapidly approaching the point of being opened and assembled, and the ten stacks of diapers are primed for use along with the wipes and Butt Paste.

I’m constantly getting asked, “Are you ready? Are you excited?” To which I usually respond, “Mostly….yes….I think so…I hope so…”. I must have an expression of sheer exhaustion or terror, because I usually get a response back telling me, “It’s only going to get worse…”.

As if it wasn’t true already, the weight of the reality of this birth is finally bearing down on me. I’m beginning to feel a little overwhelmed by it all. I’ll find myself thinking about the magnitude of emanate change and get a slight wave of anxiety surge through me.

Just the other day, as Jeremy and I were lounging on the couch watching some tv program, I realized that these quiet and relaxing moments will, if not be gone completely, be very far and few. Our life as an independent couple with no responsibilities, who can go out on a whim or do nothing at all, will completely be changed forever. We will be parents.

Now, don’t get me wrong, I’m completely excited that this little boy will be here next month. Plus, I’m so done with being pregnant. However, the new and transformed portrait of our lives at that point is very surreal. It’s as if I were staring at one of those 3D photos (remember those?) and finally blur my eyes enough to see the hidden image. It’s a mix of excitement, fear, and awe of suddenly seeing your future in a completely new view. We've been a couple for so long (13 years), it's just strange to imagine our lives as three.....

Another moment I experienced that this is all coming to a reality very quickly, was at our latest prenatal appointment this week. The doctor mentioned that they consider the baby to be Full Term at 36 weeks, and if labor started by then, they wouldn’t stop it. I am currently 34 weeks. That’s only a couple weeks away.

Yet again, a moment of panic and excitement rolled over me.

Of course, these are rough estimates of when a first baby comes. And, from my research and constant asking of women, I’ve gotten about 50/50 on whether they come early or late. But, there’s nothing to say he won’t come early. And the mere fact that the hospital will go ahead with labor if started that early is throwing me into overdrive.

Let the nesting stage begin.

We may have all the big items, but now little things are coming to mind, and I quickly grab pen to paper to jot down essential items and to-do’s. My last day at work is June 6th, a mere three weeks away. Although, I’m frantically attempting to get things done before I leave, I’m completely relieved that I’ll get those couple weeks off before the due date (of course, that’s if the baby comes on time) to get some of these items accomplished (with the help of Jeremy of course).

1. Pack hospital bag.
2. Get car seat ready.
3. Wash all the baby clothes, sheets and blankets.
4. Buy baby approved laundry detergent.
5. Get the carpets and couch cleaned.
6. Clean the apartment like there was no tomorrow.
7. Put collection of replica swords away.
8. Fill out all FMLA and SDI paperwork.
9. Make sure cat has soft paws on at all times prior to delivery.
10. Find time to relax and sleep before we can’t

Oh, I suppose I should add another item: Name this child!

So, to get #10 off the list, we’re planning on spending this weekend down in Anaheim for a relaxing ‘babymoon’ as they like the call it: Lounging around the pool at a nice hotel while sipping on ‘mocktales’, catching a movie, maybe the new Narnia film, and then spending some time at Disneyland eating churros and Dolewhips. Sounds like my kind of weekend. And, since it may be our last of this kind of weekend as ‘a couple’ for a while, we’re going to make the most of it.

Hey, why not, right?

4 comments:

Amber said...

Your "babymoon" sounds like a fabulous idea!

It IS a daunting idea, to have your reality shifted in such a monumental way. But the fact that you're cognizent of the change, and actively thinking about it, convinces me (not that I wasn't before) that you are going to do great!

No one is every *really* ready for this. It's like preparing for the unknown. You don't know your sons personality yet. You don't know his sleeping patterns, or his favorite way to be rocked to sleep. You can't prepare for these things.

But you and Jeremy are sensitive, intuitive and creative people. You're going to get to know this little boy in a way you can't even comprehend yet... THAT Elly, is the miracle of birth.

I'm so excited for you, and very greatful that we'll be there to watch you two grow as parents and humans.

Nev said...

And let me add: "What are soft paws?"

Elly said...

Nev, soft paws are little rubbery plastic caps we glue on the claws of our incredibly naughty kitty. They work great, and come in different colors. She currently has on purple one's. How fancy!

www.softpaws.com

Unknown said...

Elly and Jeremy.. I hope that you enjoy your last little vacation together. Sounds like you are going to have a great time together. Enjoy it and like I have mentioned before.. continue to get as much rest as possible..

Don't stress out about having all the clothes washed for the baby. You might want to keep the tags on the clothes just in case he is bigger than expected and then can't fit the clothes. Once the clothes are cleaned like that you can't return them. That was part of the reason I didn't stress and I choose not to wash all the clothes.

The paper work is really easy and the doctors end up doing most of tghe work. Well, that was how it worked for me. You don't have to fill out both right now unless they changed that. I say that because for one of them you have to have the social security number and name of your little one. (which you don't have yet)

I understand wanting to do a huge cleaning. I went through that. Don't stress too much since he is not crawling yet or able to grab things like Joshua when he visits you guys. Just try to get as much done but don't stress over it.

We again are so happy for you guys and can't wait to meet your little one. Joshua will enjoy having another playmate.

Enjoy Disneyland together!!!

Love,
Renee