Monday, May 19, 2008

Expectant Mothers parking spaces

After reading this week’s blog entry about parking spaces from my friend, Nev, I got to thinking about Expectant Mother’s spaces. I’m not sure how long these special spaces have been around, and I doubt many places actually have them from what I’ve seen, but darn it, I want to park in this space!

I remember spotting one years ago and thinking how silly they were. Pregnant women aren’t incapable of walking! Why should they be privileged enough to get an upfront luxury spot?

Oh, how naïve I was.

Now being what, eight, eight and a half months pregnant, I now see the need for these precious spaces. I drive in circles in a crowded lot hoping to find this special space, only to find that they don’t exist or that there is only one space available, to which of course someone else has already taken. And, here I’m left parking at the far end of the lot, taking a deep breath before I cross the Sahara of parking lots, to eventually find my oasis at the other end. I’m glad I always carry a bottle of water with me. Just call me Lawrence.

Which makes me think; is this person who parked in this valued space, really pregnant? There’s no need for a special ‘pregnancy’ sticker to dangle from the mirror, so who’s to say just anyone can park there? Also, at what point in pregnancy is it ok to park in this space? I think I would feel guilty to park there if I were only a couple months pregnant. Which brings me back to who exactly is parking here? A woman can easily get away with parking in this space, whether or not she is pregnant. Because, who dares to ask a woman if she’s pregnant, right? A very stupid and idiotic one, that’s who.

But, to those ‘non pregnant’ stealers of this space, I tell you this:

It's so not fair for those of us who are waddling their way around, barely being able to walk from the added 25-30 pounds and the excruciating pain of slowly parting pelvic bones and ligaments as if a horse kicked you in the crotch. And, let’s not talk about the recent heat wave here in Southern California that will melt a pregnant woman in her crazy swollen feet’s tracks (what are ankles again?). Or, how about when the baby suddenly decides to pop a squat on your bladder, making you not think twice about finding a nearby bush?

These are just a few of the ‘joys’ on this girl’s complaint list (this is the one time I’m entitled to complain without consequences, so I’m eating it up for whatever sympathy it’s worth!).

Baby, I know you’re comfortable in there, but if you’d like to come out early……please, feel free! I won’t take it personally, honest!

This last weekend, we marked an item on our ‘to-do’ list, and relaxed as we went away for the weekend. On our few outings out where we needed to park, of course there wasn’t any Expectant Mother’s space to be found. So, instead of Jeremy listening to me moan and complain about how far away we’ve parked (he’ll demonstrate to you a great mocking version of me if you ask him), we bypassed the pain and annoyance and simply used valet. A girl could get used to this!

I’m still waiting to park in my EM space…..

5 comments:

Unknown said...

The places that I know of that have those spots are Ontario Mills which really comes in handy and I have seen them at Babysrus. The cool thing about Babysrus is that it is right in front of the store.

I at times wish I could use those spots again. It would be much easier even when you have a baby especially if you have had a c-section. Who knows maybe one day it will be something that you will have to have a thing hanging from the window to prove you are pregnant!

I know how you feel girl about wanting to be done with your pregnancy. I was ready to be done about the time the same time as you. I can only give you some good advice as you get closer to the time to be done.. LOTS of walking and some people told me this but I didn't get to do it... Having you know what with your husband will cause labor to happen when you are close to your due date or after your due date. It did work for two of my friends that I can think of.. Call me crazy but it did work for them.

Ok, I stop rambling now. Love ya girl and we can't wait to see this little one soon... my parents will be in town that weekend before you are due... maybe it will happen then.. hehehehehehehe We are taking Joshua to Disneyland for the 1st time.

Soon enough you wil have that little one in your hands!

Love,
Renee

Nev said...

I want you to know: I'm not parking in any EM spaces ever. I'll stick to the handicapped spots. :-)

Derek said...

Babies are us!!!!!!!! Derek was soooooo excited to be able to park in one of those spaces, he took a picture of me standing by the sign, good times.

I love you

Katie said...

^^^That was from me, not Derek. This is what happens when I use the laptop and forget that I'm signed in as him everywhere. Sorry

Girleegirl said...

Oh girl, I know how you feel! I would circle for several minutes at our local Ralph's parking lot in hopes the single EM spot would become vacant just like a vulture circles its evening snack! If you ever get up to Valencia our mall has several EM spots, even the stripes on the pavement are painted pink! Love it!
I so enjoy your blog! I find myself making sure I don't have any liquids in my mouth while I'm reading it to ensure nothing comes out my nostrils! I laugh so hard in remembering the "fun" times of pregnancy. Hang in there, only a month to go!
-Val